Tuesday, September 3, 2013

D30 Days: Day 3 Favorite Playable Class

Easy answer:  wizard.  I am enamored with the way magic bends and often breaks the rules of the various iterations of D&D.  I tend to enjoy the way the older versions of the game work in this regard, especially.  Often, I am able to find an alternative application for a given spell or convince a DM to let me do something a little offbeat.

I haven't played a wizard in a long, long time.  I haven't played in a long, long time.  I'm trying to change that, though.  My ideal next character in any fantasy game would be of the magic-using variety, and he'll not be afraid to traffic with the darker side of magic.  You see, I tend to think along the lines of the old pulp writers, where magic is regarded as something quite otherworldly, certainly anything but ordinary, and often just plain dangerous to use.  Wizards in my upcoming OSR-mashup campaign are going to be people that risk everything for knowledge.  

Since I haven't played in so long, I'm going to stop here with this post, in order to preserve my writing energy for later, but suffice it to say, I get all kinds of insidious enjoyment from magic.  Just ask anyone who has played in one of my campaigns.  Remember when the lich burned down the capital of the Thracian Empire, guys?  And you never even saw it coming....

No comments:

Post a Comment