Sunday, February 4, 2024

The Tiny Appendix N of Dark Appalachia

    Anyone reading this that isn't accidentally stumbling on it is likely familiar with Appendix N in the rear of the first edition DMG.  This is a similar list of books that have helped to inspire this new campaign project. It's a short list and by no means complete, but these are the main culprits behind the idea.

Manly Wade Wellman: almost all of his weird fiction, especially Silver John works
DCC RPG Shudder Mountains setting
David Drake: Old Nathan
Mountain Monsters TV show
Orson Scott Card: Alvin Maker series

    That's it, that's the list. Manly Wade Wellman has had an outsized influence. I own 3 out of the 5 of the hardback selected works books released by Nightshade Press a couple decades ago that are now too expensive to acquire (at least for my budget).  I also own a few of the Silver John novels.  They're a massive influence not just for this campaign, but in my taste for fantastic fiction in general. Ever since I borrowed a copy of The Old Gods Waken from the Rodman Public Library in Alliance, OH, in my late teens, I've been hooked on Wellman's stories. 
    I'm sure once I start digging into the novels I have on my acquisition list by Alex Bledsoe, Maggie Stiefvater, and Jennifer Estep, more material might be absorbed into this list. I'm also curious to read Henry Kuttner's The Hogben Chronicles.  For some reason I just really enjoy the down-home atmosphere of Appalachian stories, probably because I grew up north of the area, in lower Northeast Ohio, but just a short trip to a place southern Ohio where the Appalachian country begins to take hold.
     If anyone has any other Appalachian Fantasy recommendations, feel free to leave them in the comments. I'll be interested, I promise.

    I'm jumping in after the original post of this article to let you all know about a blog that will also provide some interesting ideas for my campaign. It's all about Appalachian Folk Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment